Friday, July 27, 2007

Time To Move On.....

Well, yesterday, i met with my new friend. She surprised me with the book

the art of the sari



from the Surrey Art Gallery, in which one of her poems is published. I sure she won't mind if i share her lovely poem with you.






Sari by vb

I am a Sari
I am an East Indian Women's identity
I come in all colours -
I am a friend in grief and in happiness
In red colour I become a bride
In white a widow
In orange a saint
In yellow i look like the mustard flowers blooming in a field -
I bring new hope for all
I am a long piece of cloth about 5 1/2 meters long
I am draped over a long skirt that clings to the beautiful waist of a
woman
A blouse is worn on the upper part of the body called choli.
The moment I fling my pallu over my shoulder everyone gazes at me -
I am not just a piece of cloth to cover the body.
I am a living painting, a piece of Art.
I am a Poet's Dream
I am a Security Blanket for a child
I am the heart throb of lovers
I am a subject of conversation. Your Sari is gorgeous!
Where did you buy it? Munbai, Delhi or Surrey?



I am all decked up with beautiful pearls, beads -
gold and silver thread embroidery looks so stunning on me -At
party or in temple i look graceful -
Every Sari has a story of its own.
The vision of a designer springs up on me and unfolds the story.
I come in many forms
In order to improve each form
I created jobs for many
Each province in India has its own style -
In Gujrat & Rajastan I became famous by the name:
Bundhani & Kotadona
Lucknow is known for chikan work
In Bernares as Banarsi Sari
Tamil Nadu has Kachniparam
In Mysore silk & cotton rules
In Bangladesh Jamdani, Pabna is my name.

I have been around for centuries
In every decade I became more beautiful -
First my grandmother wore me
Then her daughter
Then her daughter's daughter
I may come in different versions
But
I always maintained my Name Sari
As I kept on improving myself many followed me
Jewelry, purse, shoe & shawl joined me
I am glad I am a Sari
I became a source of income for many
I was born & brought up in India
I flourished in other countries

On the runway whether it is a white, black, or brown woman -
I look good on everyone

I am the Pride & Joy of
Bollywood
&
Hollywood

Today I have Global recognition for that I am thankful -
I am happy that I am a Sari
You became happy to see me -
I am happy that you are happy -

Isn't that beautiful!



And here we are at the Surrey Art Gallery, "all decked out" in our finery, at the opening of the art show in April.

12 comments:

dragonflyfilly said...

well, my heart is heavy, but i want to try to move on on stop "spreading my misery"...so here is a new Post....i hope you enjoy the beautiful poem, and the lovely garments that have inspired it.

cheers for now,
pj

Jo said...

I love saris. I think they are the most beautiful form of women's clothing, next to kimonos. Why is it that Eastern women have such gorgeous clothing and fabrics, and we have ...blue jeans?

Carole Burant said...

Hugs to ease your heavy heart!! xox

I've always found saris so very beautiful and I love it when I'm at the mall and such and see a few Eastern Indian women wearing them. So very colourful and flowing. I love that poem you shared with us, it certainly does explain the whole story behind the sari!! xox

Jean-Luc Picard said...

What an inventive poem! It's wonderfully descriptive.

dragonflyfilly said...

hi josie yeah,good question, why blue jeans! I was about 23 before i got my first pair of blue jeans, and in the past 4 or 5 years i have been unable to feel comfortable in them - i don't even own a pair that fits me anymore...they are so stiff and hard and rough on the skin....the sari on the other hand, has taken me quite a while to adapt to, but certainly when i am wearing it, i feel so graceful, and somehow "special"...when you see Eastern women wearing them, they look so comfortable and graceful, eh?

hey pea, thanks for the comforting words, i feel better after talking to my sister last night and i have decided to go to the Island next week for some R & R.

Where i live in Surrey i see many many women wearing the Sari, so i have become so accustomed to it.

My Mom brought me mine from India about 20 years ago, and i have only worn it about 3 times. So i was delighted to have an opportunity to wear it again, and learn how to drape it properly. It was so cute when i went downstairs at the Art Gallery where they had "Sari's on loan" for the patrons, the ladies dressing us giggled when they saw how i had draped mine, all wrong, even though there are a few different ways to do so. I guess i invented one more! *chuckle*

hey jean-luc yes! i was thrilled when i looked in the gift-bag and saw this lovely little book, and she had signed it for me on the front page. i love the poem, it is one of the best out of the 18 in this little souvenier book of poems and photos.

It IS very discriptive isn't it, and the metre (i think that's what its called) is interesting too, but i might not have go it spot on as i struggled with margins and tabs etc., in the posting format. (of Blogspot)

cheers for now,
pj

mckait said...

beautiful post!

I am sorry though, that your heart is heavy...

may that pass soon.....

dragonflyfilly said...

thanks for the support, kath; but no point spreading my mysery, which WILL, soon pass

~~ and next week i am going to visit my mom, she has not been all that well, and i want to go and see if there is anything i can do to help her.

AND, just being with her will cheer me up!

later,
pj

Mary said...

The poem was beautiful and so are saris.

Mary

PS- I have moved my blog.

dragonflyfilly said...

Hi Mary,
thanks for stopping by, and i'm glad you enjoyed my Post.

cheers for now,
pj

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hey there !!
Hope you are feeling better.
Wonderful poem ... sari's are very beautiful items of clothing, so feminine and flowing.
Take care, Meow

heiresschild said...

what a beautiful history told thru this poem pj. josie's comment made me laugh. feel better pj and enjoy your time away!

dragonflyfilly said...

Hi Meow,
thanks for stopping by, and i'm glad you enjoyed the Post.

also, Sylvia, hi there, how's things?

cheers for now,
pj