Friday, June 02, 2006



Grrrrrrrr. I was so mad (angry) yesterday....on the bus...coming home from the lovely birthday celebration that i had with my daughter and her boyfriend.

Sitting there minding my own business...but the driver was taking so long to leave the terminal because there was an elderly gentleman on the bus, and he seemed to not have enough money for his fare...so she was talking loudly at him, ...saying, "o.k. now, another 24 cents..." then i heard her say," o.k. now, another 3 cents. " This interacting had taken about 5 minutes, so, frustrated, i got up and went to put some of my own coins in, saying "oh for Christ's sake, what's a few pennies!!!".. . . she replied "Don't worry about it, i'm talking to him in Punjabi, trying to help him out." [well, i'm sorry but it did not appear so to me] ..anyway, he finally paid his fare to her satisfaction and the bus got on its way. Then a man accross the isle from me made a comment, about people not paying their fare, and i said: "don't jump to conclusions, you don't know that he might not be able to understand, have a little compassion"...and he replied that "these people don't deserve our compassion"...then a woman sitting right next to me threw in her 'two cents worth' of opinion, saying something about "these people" don't deserve to be treated nicely, or something to that effect. And then the whole conversation started turning nasty, about "this race" ( he was east indian), with him sitting right there and another woman, also east indian sitting next to him.

So finally i said to the man accross from me "don't even go there with me", and he tried to defend his position but i said i did not want to talk to him, then the lady sitting next to me piped up again with more racist comments, so i said: "stop talking to me like that, i don't want to hear it" and turned my head away, but she just kept talking, so i turned back to her and told her to be quiet, she said she was talking to the man (accross the isle), so i replied, directing my comment to both of them: "You are entitled to your opinion but i don't want to hear it, so be quiet". But they continued on, so i said: "You need to stop talking like this right now - there are laws in this country against this kind of hate mongering, ...you are entitled to to your own opinion and you can say what you like in the privacy of your own home, BUT - YOU - ARE- NOT - ALLOWED - TO - TALK - LIKE - THIS - IN - A - PUBLIC - PLACE, - SO JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW! " The woman just looked at me in total amazement, then a young woman sitting close by said: "She's right you know, you are not allowed to talk like that in public." So they both shut up, and a kind of weird silence filled the bus.

I sat there, i think my face must have been flaming red, i was so furious, i could feel my heart pumping so fast. But i felt proud of myself for speaking up...usually i would just sit silent, feeling angry and disgusted, and probably gone home and stewed for days...but this time i said what i was thinking, and bugger the consequences! Now i feel so good. heh heh!

31 comments:

dx said...

It sounds very noisy on the bus in that time.
And it's very weird when the bus is so silent, I've never be on a silent bus.
But I think you're so brave to speak out what you think. People here are not always so brave, even myself.

I put on one sound clip on my blog, hope you could drop by and give me some advice.

mckait said...

I am proud of you too!

I am a huge fan of speaking out against wrong.. and do it myself.. it is not always easy..

Good for you, and once again I am happy to "know" you..

i love being gemini.. and i am pretty happy being who i am.. just not so happy about other things in my life..

anyway...



as for the links.. i tried to post an explaination and blogger would not allow it..
i sent it by email.. let me know if you need more help..


oh and Happy belated birthday gemini!

They call him James Ure said...

Way to speak up!!! I am too afraid to speak up in those moments. You are a good exampe for me.

soft_rain said...

Hi there,

Good for you , !!

Inflammed Philly spoke the truth!!

You go girl...

dragonflyfilly said...

jm; thanks, i will be over to your blog soon to check out the sound

hi Kath,
thanks; yeah, isn't it nice being a gemini, and also content with who we are are where we are at this time? re: links, i will check my e-mail, thanks.

thanks James; i think it is easier for a woman to speak out sometimes; people are less likely to punch you out; - specially a little old lady carrying a cane, hah hah...i have a big stick and i know how to use it!! - sometimes i am not very equonomous, oh well!

hi soft_rain, nice to see you again... yeah, i guess i have come to the stage in my life now, ...like the song says "we're not gonna take, NO, we're not gonna take it, we're not gonna take it anymore!!!" - people have to know that in Canada we do have the Civil Rights Tribunal which is govered by the Attorney General Office, AND we will not tolerate ignorance and racism, and THAT'S THAT! how YOU doin' anyway?

ian gordon said...

Good for you.

I can hardly believe you were even hearing such vitriolic garbage in the first place.

jumpinginpuddles said...

dont even start us on racism and the ugliness of it. Grrrrrrr glad we werent there because they would have got more than a please dont talk to me about that much much much more.

Ian Lidster said...

Good for you, I commend you for taking the strong stance you did. Most people just wouldn't, even if they felt as you did. I just hate that kind of shit, and I am amazed when I hear that sort of bigoted ignorance spewing from people's mouths. So nice to have you back visiting my blog, by the way.

mckait said...

ok

retried sending the links info.. hope it worked out this time ~

will look in your archives for post..
thank you
:)
k

Tai said...

And you lived to tell the tale!

Good on you, racism (even in the privacy of their own home) is ugly.

Thanks for speaking up.

Valkyrie said...

This is from Valkyrie--the one who made a comment on Tai's blog.

I'm not feeling well, so I'll get back to you later.

kimber said...

Well done! I wish there were more people like you, willing to speak up! I wish I did it more often!

Nothing makes me madder than seeing people spouting off racist rhetoric and assuming that everyone within earshot agrees with them. I DON'T! So good for you!

:P fuzzbox said...

Sometimes you just have to speak up against idiots. You should be proud.

dragonflyfilly said...

hey, Fuzzy, tai, and Valkyrie thanks for the validation...

i know what you mean JIP i will tell you it took a whole lot of self-restraint not to use foul language...but i decided to try to set a good example, i was pretty LOUD though.

hi ian g thanks for stopping by. yes, i know, it's hard to believe that people think they have the right to be so rude to others just because they are a different race or skin colour...it seems to be getting worse over the years. (it is so hard for me not to be intollerant of intollerance, how weird is THAT?)

HI KATH thanks, i got the links and instructions but have not had time to do anything yet.
chat soon.

and thanks again all, for the support, cheers for now,
pj

dragonflyfilly said...

ops kimber nearly forgot you...yeah, in the past i have just sat there seething, but i think we have to start speaking out, otherwise people think we agree with them. Hope all is well with you.

dragonflyfilly said...

ops again, forgot Ian i don't know if you agree with me but it seems that intollerance is growing in this country...and people seem to think they have the right, just because they are white, to spew their racist garbage. I don't want people to think i agree with them when i don't, so...i "bite the bullet", and feel better for it. Thanks for stopping by. I have to shower and get ready to head out for the cast party now, and i have to use public transport again...so it will take me a few hours to get there...hope i do not have another
"altercation" today. ... but i dunno, i'm kind of on a roll, so watch out world (heh heh!)

Moof said...

Wow! Go Dragonflyfilly! Good for you!

*cheer!*

alan said...

I am so proud of you as well!

Was going to tell a story about something like this, but I'll save it for "home"...

SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!

alan

dragonflyfilly said...

thanks moof, thanks alan

cheers for now,
pj

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Way to go, girl.
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

Guatyen said...

wow! very brave. love your spirit. :)

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

Brave, compassionate and strong. We need a few like you in the United States. Wanna move?

I have had my fair share of run-ins with bigots. I actually enjoy standing up to the intellectually challenged.

Keep well and keep happy,

Jon-Marc

Dr. Deb said...

An eventful bus ride to say the least. I love that you spoke up!

dragonflyfilly said...

Hi all,
i woke up this a.m. with the most gigantic migraine; struggling here, so will visit all blogs when i can concentrate.

Hi hey there, meow thanks for your support, i will stop by your blog when i am feeling better.

hi alison Koh thank you also for your comment. i will stop by soon.


heh heh, you make me laugh jon-marc, the thought of moving to the US. I remember when i was a teenager, all i wanted to do was live in Beverly Hills (remember Sunset Strip) or Hawaii, now, i love my old Canada, and could not think of living anywhere else, (well, you might be able to twist my arm if the offer was good enough, and IF it was in Maui!!! - lol) - and thanks again for your support.

hi dr. deb thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the support.

i will cut and paste all these above comments to respective Blogs when i am feeling better.

cheers for now,
pj

heiresschild said...

hi pj,

i hope you are feeling better. take it easy.

hugs,
sylvia

dragonflyfilly said...

WELL FINALLY, after two days i have something up...but not what i wanted...i still have lots more photos...but i am having such trouble with my Blog (and now my coffee's gone cold!)...anyhoooo, here it is.

hieresschild thanks for stopping by. i'm o.k. now, but have not been out for a walk. It rained all day yesterday and i just did not feel like walking in the rain. It looks like it might clear up, so i hope i can get out later today.

Taradharma said...

it's everyday acts of compassion and heroism like yours that advance the planet day by day. Bless you!

dragonflyfilly said...

hey there tdharma,

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT, it means a lot to me.

cheers for now,
pj

Mr. Death said...

Very classy. I probably would have sworn at them right off the bat...but then again, I'm a worthless hooligan.
The last time an old woman had trouble paying her fare, I threw in a ticket for her (student and senior are the same) and sat down. I was a little irritated to see that she still looked at me like I was a Satan worshipper, but I felt it didn't really matter at that point...
Anyway, good job...it takes courage, and unfortunatly, less people show it.
JV

dragonflyfilly said...

Thanks JV (you worthless holligan you, *chuckle*)- yeah, sometimes "good deeds" do go unnoticed., but then you have the feeling of self-satisfaction if nothing else. Maybe the old lady didn't think she should pay "student fare"!!! - silly girl!

dragonflyfilly said...

avk, thanks!!