Thursday, May 04, 2006

I was watching Dr. Phil today, and i was again astounded at the high level of abuse, physical and verbal, that young women are willing to tolerate from their so called "loved ones" , but in particular, their boyfriends or husbands.

For weeks now i have been thinking about posting a story of something that happened to me in 1973 i think it was. One day i think, yeah, i'll post it, then the next day i change my mind...i think because i do not want to be perceived as a "victim", because i am not one. That is not to say that in the past i wasn't, because i certainly think i was. I was also very young and stupid, i engaged in risky behaviour without even giving it a second thought. I i think to some degree i was a bit of a "creep magnet". However, i am certainly not one now... (so i guess maybe next week i will publish the "scary story"...)

But in this day and age, when we have so much knowledge, how is it that women (and some men) are willing to tolerate so much abuse? And i know, i know i know i know, all about the "cycle of violence"...i just have a hard time believing that people cannot use their intellect to control their emotions. We can put our mind to anything, why do we not want to use our minds to give our emotions advice?

As the woman on the t.v. today was telling Dr. Phil about her boyfriend, who, even after he had beaten her up, and was actually doing jail time: she is saying: ".....but i luvvvv him" - i thought to myself, "oh brother, you stupid bitch, get a grip" - how uncharitible of me, eh? - anyway, when i heard her talking about how he said he would take her to the airport, but instead started to drive off in the other direction i remembered a guy i had once dated.

It was approx. 1975

I think we went out for a couple of weeks, and you know, being the '70s, things progressed quite fast, and soon i realized that this man was wayyyyy too possessive and controlling for me and told him i did not want to date him anymore. He was very upset, but i thought that he was accepting of my decision until he started to telephone me incessantly, at home and at work. I eventually let him wear me down, and agreed to meet him for lunch.

At this time i was working out at UBC, and had only an hour for lunch; he insisted on picking me up, and against my better judgement i agreed. I thought we would find somewhere close on campus to eat, but when he picked me up he drove off quickly, ignoring my protestations, and said he had a picnic lunch arranged and we could enjoy the sunny weather down at the beach, about a 10 minute drive away. (at this point i realized that i should have insisted that he meet me at the Pit or the Student Union Building but....oh famous hindsight!) I had no choice and when we got to the beach, there was no picnic lunch packed in the car, and all he wanted to do was maul me, and tell me how much he loved and needed me and attempt to persuade me that i should give "us" another chance.

I was adament, and had to fight him off, and as the hour wore on, and we both had to be getting back to work, (he worked downtown), he drove out of the parking lot, turned left and started heading in the direction of town. I said, "you're going the wrong way, where do you think you're going, turn around and take me back to work please." Totally ignoring me, he just kept driving very fast, and it was clear that he had no intention of taking me back to my work. I grabbed the stearing wheel, in the process ripping the finger nail off my pinky finger, and yelled at him: "Turn this car around damn it all and take me back to work!" He got such a fright he stopped the car, and said: "If you want to go back to work, you can just walk back"...so i quickly jumped out the car (you should have seen the surprised look on his face) told him to go to hell, and slammed the car door shut.

It took me about 25 minutes to walk up the hill back to the Alumni Association building where my office was; my co-workers were astonished at my sweaty angry appearance, and my bloddy finger, and fortunately my boss was on his own two hour lunch, so i did not get into trouble. But i was furious! And then when i got home, stuffed under the door of my apartment (and i don't know how he got in the front door) was a plastic bag. Inside was a T-shirt, a lovely soft cotton, good quality article of clothing. Right accross the front was written: #1 Bitch! and in those days, that was pritty inflamatory! oh, yes, and a note from him...."wear this with a smile".....hah, little did he know!!!! Friday night was coming up, party time at theYoung Alumni Club at Cecil Green (that was where i had first met him)

.....sooooo, i got all dolled up, my hair was just growing out nicely from when i had shaved my head, and was as soft and shiny as a baby seal hide. I wriggled into my new jeans, body hugging and smooooooth as velvet...put my best fitting, up-liftingest bra on, and pulled the new T-shirt over my head...scrutinizing myself in the mirror, i was impressed with how the word "Bitch" hugged my breasts...thinking to myself, "number one bitch eh, you don't know the half of it baby!" I LOOKED FABULOUS! Then i put on my beige trench coat, buttoned it up and headed out the door.

We (my girlfriend and i) arrived fairly early and the place was fairly empty and i could see he was not there yet. I propped myself up on a bar-stool, with a good view of the front door entrance, and ordered a drink. My friend wondered at my tightly-buttoned up coat and my mischievious grin... about 1/2 hour later i saw him come in, as he caught my eye, i stook up, un-buttoned my coat, and stuck my boobs out, and gave him my most dazzling and charming smile!!...followed by a wink...well, his expression was priceless! -- and he never bothered me again....

...and to top it off, that was the night i met my next boyfriend, an adorable 6' 6" hunka munka, but that's another story.....

...to be continued...


NB; I kept that T-shirt for many years, and on days that i felt fragile and insecure, i would put it on, smile, and be instantly transformed. I kept it until it was too small, and too tight and full of holes, and i had to throw it away. And many years later, when i had to leave my husband, i had another one made up, with the face of a lovely Doberman Pincer on the front, and below it the words: "The Bitch Is Back!" - but i don't have much use for it these days....


[I'm doing these posts now, because i don't understand why a lot of young women (and some men, as well as individuals in same gender relationships) are willing to put up with such "shit" just to have a relationship. I know i should be more patient, working in the field that is do, but given the knowledge we have about how violent bahaviour only escalates without treatment, i just get so frustrated with people who are willing to minimize abusive and distructive behaviour.]]

21 comments:

Jo said...

Dragonflyfilly, I think every woman can identify with your story. Almost everyone has experienced something like that. Your quote on your profile says it best. "Fortunately for me, your opinion of me is not my reality".

The women who allow abusive behaviour like that to continue are the ones who have low opinions of themselves and think they don't deserve any better. Fortunately, I have never been one of those. I have a sixth sense. If I can feel the skin at the back of my neck start to "crawl" at someone's behaviour, or how they are speaking to me, I make a HASTY retreat. Very often most people don't listen to their gut instincts, and they go on to the next level. Big mistake.

Most of the time people can think back to the very instant when they became aware something was wrong. But then denial kicks in. They make allowances. And always at the back of their mind there is a voice telling them not to do that.

So it's hard to feel sorry for people who permit someone to be abusive to them. They know... they KNOW. You can't lie to yourself.

Josie

Godwhacker said...

Hi PJ,
great post! I can relate. I had my own share of bad relationships. I have to give you credit in that you did end it.

I think when people tolerate abusive behavior from others, it is because they lack self-esteem. If you don't think good of yourself, why would you expect to be treated well by others?

alan said...

Thank you for standing up for yourself!

I hope you never need another shirt like those!

alan

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Good on you for standing up for yourself. Thanks for sharing your story.
Take care, Meow

Ian Lidster said...

Powerful tale, my forthright friend, and I commend you for having the courage to go there. Ah, yes, the difference between love and codependency -- been there and have done that and did it for too many years. Control can work female to male, too. If the issue is just nookie, not such a big deal, but if the issue is "love of my life", then that's when it gets scary. You have a good story; so do I. I don't know if I have the cojones to go there in open forum, my dear. We should share some more sometime. And yes, I see women every day who are in that control-abuse shit situation. I had one working for me when I ran the recovery centre. It was distressing to watch. Eventually the asshole ran off with somebody else, yet it left her devastated. Anyway, sweetie, thank god for the widom of Melody Beatty. Talk to you later, and I want to read your tale in more detail later.

dragonflyfilly said...

yes, josie, i know you are right, it is a self-esteem issue, but when you are shot at or stabbed and hospitalized when does one's natural instinct for survival kick in and say, "whooo, bessy, there is something seriously wrong here?" - i know all the intellectual and psychological agruments and rationalization, but, i dunno, i think it's that "victim" mode people get into, and the "payoff" for being a victim...this 'Oh but i luvvvv him' crap, while he's beating the bejusis out of them, that's what i get impatient with. Well, i will have more to say on this at a later post, because i actually have a theory that is not quite formulated in my brain well enough to be articulated adequately.

godwacker thanks, i have today edited my post to reflect more acurately that some men also fall into this "syndrome", if one can call it that. Yes, i totally agree on the self-esteem issue...

hey alan, thanks for stopping by...unfortunately i'm not quite ready to give up the t-shirt yet...

hi meow - nice to hear from you again...yeah, the attitude is coming out, "full steam ahead"...i'm armed and dangerous...heh heh

later babes, off to a opening of an "art show" tonight...will post comments about that too, cheers,
pj

dragonflyfilly said...

call me a cynic but this "love of my life" AT ANY COST, is crap, sorry, but that is just the way i feel, "love of my life, who treats me with kindness and respect etc"..well ok., but it seems to me we are taking this love stuff to a ridiculous extreme...but i will post more on this later...right now i have to get dressed and venture out into the warm world...soon it will be too hot for me to got outside, delicate little flower that i am, HO HO!

Yup, we will chat soon, hope the remnants of the dental work are not paining you too much...i enjoyed reading your post...but i don't know who Betty Beatty is?

why do some women insist on wearing blinders: a friend of mine is having an affair with a married man, and is boo hooing all over the place all the time,,,"but i luvvv him, and i know he loves me" what a loat of codsswallop(?) -- one minute she is happy next minute crying on my shoulder because he has not called...this has been going on for three years...i finally told her i could not listen to her crying anymore, "dump the jerk or quit moaning about it!" i told her.

cheers for now,
pj

later,
pj

Anonymous said...

oh yes, bad relationships. I still need to work on why I got into some of them and moreso why I stayed.

:P fuzzbox said...

Great post. I saw the promo to the episode of Dr. Phil. I cannot fathom how the girl got shot in the face and still wants the guy that did it to her. She needs some serious help.

Jo said...

I still think we all hear that little click in our heads when we know the relationship is going to go south, and we should always listen to it. Gut instinct is very real. What is that saying... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me..."

We have all been in relationships where we have reached that fork in the road, and we make a conscious choice of which way to take. Denial is not our friend.

Josie

Moof said...

I'm looking forward to the continuation on this one! I can relate to that a bit ... :o)

Jo said...

I just "Googled" Melody Beattie, and every responsibility on her list of responsibilities is something everyone should follow. Amazing. I am afraid (suspicious) that my daughter is in a psychologically abusive (passive aggressive) marriage, and it is taking a toll on her. She is very beautiful, intelligent, accomplished, funny, talented and successful, and the fellow she married to is not quite as... I think behind closed doors he is resentful of her and psychologically abusive to her. She has great career, a wonderful group of supportive friends, and of course me, but how do you help someone like that? It breaks my heart.

Josie

jumpinginpuddles said...

and this is why we keepo visiting your blog because in amongst the humour is the bits about you that make you awesome. Thanks for sharing this part of your life, and the trust it took to write it.

dragonflyfilly said...

hi tiesha:
thanks for stopping by; yeah, it's a never ending mystery...i still have a little trouble avoiding people who are no good for me, but, by in large i'm way more savy than i was 10 years ago!

:p fuzzbox;
yeah that woman just amazed me, sorry to say she was soooo pathetic, and i agree, in need of serious help, but i think it's about the perceived "payoff"... really, for some "victims" there is a payoff, not one that i want, but appearing on a 'famous' show like Dr.Phil's is, in a way a "payoff", again, not one that i would choose, but once one can get to the root of just what the payoff is, then one can start doing some real work. i think that woman of Dr.Phil's show is addicted to what...? pain? who knows...it is in a way very complicated, but in another way, really quite simple...but i do think at the heart of it is this stupid notion we have of "love",...'love conquers all'...'all we need is love', the list of maudlin love songs is endless, and we lap 'em up like thirsty puppies!

yeah, Josie;
we all live in denial at one time or another...and it certainly helps to perpetuate the pattern...there is always someone lurking around waiting for a victim, eh?

hi moof;
thanks for stopping by...yeah, i think i'm on a bit of a role...stay posted...cheers....

thanks JIP;
for giving me strength to reach out! will be over to your Blog to chat at length soon.

hey ruben;
thanks for stopping by...it is really unfortunate about your niece, but just like the addict, people who choose to live in abusive relationships, you have to apply this addage: "you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink" - it really is frustrating...i feel your pain...just try to be there when she finally comes to her sences...cheers for now...

Anonymous said...

Hey drangonflylilly,
Thought you might like my latest post. I'd love your feedback.

mckait said...

I am struck so often by the cruelty people use to hurt other people...

I amsorry that you were in that situation.. abuse of any kind..
verbal , physical or emotional is so hard to endure..

sending you lots of happy to day !

dragonflyfilly said...

no to worry mckait, it happened so long ago, but i was compelled to write it after watching that women on Dr. Phil...i'm over it, but it makes for somewhat entertaining reading....maybe?

the eagles are gone....everyone is very sad the eggs were not viable...

heiresschild said...

hi pj,

i think people who are in abusive relationships move on emotions and not intellect. that's probably part of the problem; they're not thinking.

low self-esteem is a big cause, and also, those behaviors are sometimes passed down from generation-to-generation. it's all some people know so they do what they know until they learn better. unfortunately, some of them never reach that stage because they may get abused to death, literally.

i've had my share of abusive relationships, though not as bad as some, but abuse is abuse no matter how you look at it.

i now love myself more so i will not allow certain things to be said or done to me by anyone. it's not worth it. i believe some people don't understand what true love is. love doesn't reach out to hurt. it's not abusive. i'm glad i know what i know now, and wouldn't change having that knowledge or wisdom i've gained for anything. good post.

sylvia

dragonflyfilly said...

thanks Sylvia,
i couldn't agree with you more.

Perplexio said...

For some people the prospect of loneliness is such a scary concept that they choose to be with someone for the wrong reasons rather than being single for the right reasons.

To put it more simply, for some people the prospect of being in a bad relationship is much more appealing to them than not being in any relationship at all. Often their self-esteem is so low, while an outsider looking in would know they could do far better, that doesn't necessarily mean that person realizes that he/she could indeed do better than the lowlife abusive scum they happen to be with.

Valkyrie said...

Shyness

I was asked to write about it, about my thoughts regarding shyness. The person who asked me has a theory that shyness comes from a child being conditioned to overthink everything because of an authority figure saying, basically, "You aren't good enough as you are. Change your thoughts and behaviors to fit in."

As a kid, I never felt I belonged, or was accepted by, anyone. My natural mother had left me in the care of my father, and so I had an anger problem in grade school. I lived in a small town so everyone knew I was abandoned--I was teased to the point where I fumed. Visibly. I was like a volcano about to erupt. I learned to control it, thanks to the school shrink, by being shy and hiding my emotions away. Even from myself. I guess you could say I became repressed.

I've met people that have jerked me around and it's hard for me accept that new people that traipse into my life won't do the same. I am shy to emotionally protect myself.

There is this guy, Adonis*, that I wouldn't mind getting to know as a friend. He seems to be a genuinely nice man, and handsome. But I blush and stammer and act like a fool, all the while wanting to reach out and 'connect' as friends. I let my shyness affect my behavior toward him.

In short, I agree with your theory, at least how it applies to me.

____________________

*Not his real name but serviceable.